Suggestion Thread

Talk about whatever, whenever.
New users; come here to introduce yourself.

Suggestion Thread

Postby Nic on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:42 pm

I had a suggestion for the site and noticed no place to suggest it - so BANG! :idea: here we are

Suggestion - you (atchy or whoever) should make it so when you log in, it automatically loads the next page, rather than clicking on it. Same with making a post. After you push submit it should go to the thread automatically.
The end.
Nic
Junior vice secretary

Re: Suggestion Thread

Postby Stelarch on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Auto-forwarding, I have a PHP script that does this...

I'll have a look at a mod that would allow this and see if Jay want to chuck it on the site (assuming there isn't an option I spot in that backend that does this anyway)

For logging in, if your to lazy to click the link I'm supprised you don't use the stay logged in option :roll:

I jest, this has often bugged me on other PHPBB boards so I'll look into it.

If I figure out a way to do it I'll let you know here and throw jay an email, then you have to beg him to add it to the site :D
Stelarch
Ninjadmin

Postby Atchy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:16 pm

The place to put suggestions is my inbox. Via PM.

If Stelarch works it out we will implement it. But is it really that bigger deal?
I am pleased there is now actually more users then topics. It must be my amazing admin-ing skillz :-)
Atchy
Totally Zen

Postby Nic on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Stelarch wrote:For logging in, if your to lazy to click the link I'm supprised you don't use the stay logged in option :roll:

My browser forgot how to save passwords.
The place to put suggestions is my inbox. Via PM.

Good idea, let's put them where nobody can see them. :?
But is it really that bigger deal?

Not really. It just seems pointless having a page to load/click in between submitting a post and seeing the thread. But whatever.
Nic
Junior vice secretary

Postby Atchy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Some people want to go back to the forums and some people want to see what they have posted. Its nice having the choice. We will look into it dude but it might be annoying for some if we get rid of it.

And no its not so no one can see them, its because the message is only directed at me and jay, so theres no need to put it in the open forum. Its far more likely to reach us in our inbox. (we get an email notification with that).

What browser are you using bro? It seems odd that it can't do that.
I am pleased there is now actually more users then topics. It must be my amazing admin-ing skillz :-)
Atchy
Totally Zen

Postby Nic on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Suggestions are always better when discussed and focused on by the mass. (obviously this particular suggestion isn't a significant one, but i'm talking about more important suggestions) But whatever. Up to you....

I'm using firefox. It used to save passwords and then one day shat itself.
I'm sure if i googled it i'd find a solution, but to be honest i don't care enough to bother. ;)
Nic
Junior vice secretary

Postby Stelarch on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Where you send your suggestions is up to the site admins but I do like to discuss it openly, it gives me somewhere to post :D

However I have found a relatively easy solution and sent the options to Jay, it can be done if he wants with little risk to the site. It is 1 line of code that needs to be added into 2 separate files so shouldn't be hard to undo if it doesn't work.

I'm just testing it on my site now and it seems to be working fine, I'm always happy to work on changes as php is one of the few languages I actually enjoy programming in.
Stelarch
Ninjadmin

Postby Atchy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Maybe if you can pop in a delay
like 5ish seconds then it just redirects. That usually works well. Then you can still navigate if you want.
Atchy
Totally Zen

Postby Stelarch on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Redirecting from a page is one thing, implementing a timer on that page before a redirect is something else, it would be allot more complicated.

Anyway, if it takes 5 seconds to redirect do you really think anyone is going to wait that time instead of clicking?

Its up to you guys what you want to do but if it is only one click to go between the forum or the post, why not go strait to the post and click on the link back to the forum if you want to go there instead.

Purely based on ISD I would say that the redirect without a delay would make the most sense.

Anyone who wants to observe the scripts working can see it implemented www.phpbb3.stelarch.com and you can log in using the username: user and the password: password
Stelarch
Ninjadmin

Postby Jay on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Sorry AtchyLOL I agree with Nic, suggestions should be discussed so a suggestions thread is a great idea. Stelarch seems to be pretty switched on on the technical side of things, so as soon as he gets access he can give it a whirl! (Unless of course there are any objections) :-)

Just remember guys that the board is for all of us to keep in touch and talk about stuff, not to increase anybodies had size, so if there is anything you think might be better just let us know!

Also, thanks Nic for the suggestion!
Jay
Site Admin

Return to General Talk / Introductions