Nifty Production Techniques

Talk about various audio and sound engineering methods to achieve various results.

Nifty Production Techniques

Postby MJH on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Ok, ill kick this into gear.
Audio students will know this trick, but others may not.

Vocal Chorus (without wobble, Phil Collins style)

If you record vocals in ProTools, you can make a cool "phil collins"-style vocal by putting one track of vocals in the centre, then busing it to a stereo track. Then, on the stereo track, use a Pitch plugin, and on one channel, pitch it up +3cents, and on the other channel, pitch down -3cents. Make sure these stereo tracks are panned hard left and right.
You end up getting a 3 voice chorus effect, without traditional chorus wobble!
Last edited by MJH on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------

Life is like a bag of bugs; you open it, and it all goes everywhere!
MJH
The Boy

Re: Nifty Production Techniques

Postby Chris O on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:29 pm

i like!

ok ok my turn

comp students will (largely) be using midi instruments for assignments and other jobs instead of paying for session musos and recording time (we're musicians so we're expected to have no money, let alone being students as well!)

the catch is, unless you're forking out for the big libraries default midi instruments can sound pretty cheesey

a couple of neat little things i've picked up from using midi over the last few years:

-to alter the 'cheese' factor (especially in horn and some woodwind instruments - logic/garageband defaults are notoriously bad) there can be a few things done
1. double up your parts with different instruments (ie a trumpet part can be made to sound more full using other brass instruments too). this is something brett talked about in class a few weeks back. once you've doubled up, then adjust levels to suit - you may only want one timbral quality of your additional instruments to peek through, or it may just sound better when blasting away!

2. reverb is your friend. un-realistic attack and release times occur all the time in these sort of libraries, and while some can be editted within the instruments themselves (ie exs24 in logic), others cant. reverb can help soften your instrument's timbres and fake qualities, as well as changing the release to make it that little bit smoother.

3. EQ - try opening up an EQ plugin, recording your part, then just looping one small section over and over. while listening to this, give it a bit of a boost or cut in the frequencies around the middle of the spectrum. then grab this
change and drag it left to right slowly, while listening to the changes. it could be one particular frequency band is the cause of much frustration, or is responsible for parts in your mix sticking out like the proverbial.

4.velocity and volume automation - before I start, there is two distinct differences between these, so be careful not to confuse them.
VELOCITY (roughly speaking) applies to the speed at which a note is inputted into the system, and as a result also directly affects how loud it sounds - think of a keyboard. slow touch = soft note. fast touch = hitting the note hard. most default libraries these days will have different timbral qualities for different velocities - try it. instead of changing an instrument altogether because it sounds horrible, try hitting the notes at different velocities and maybe the tone you're after will magically appear.
velocities can also be edited by the 'piano roll editor' in logic (dont know what its called in other programs), where the little coloured blocks appear on the screen. double click one and it will bring up a menu with a heap of numbers. look for the 'Vel.' or velocity tab, and drop those numbers a bit. the block colour will change according to the velocity strength.

VOLUME is pretty self explanatory. its just the overall sound levels, and upping the volume on a midi track will NOT change the timbre or tones - just boost the level in the mix.

AUTOMATION - is your best friend. You can effectively draw in dips and swells in volume AND velocity (in logic you can do this from the 'piano roll editor' as well as the arrange window - hit the little box in the bottom left corner of the window (has a couple of lines with dots), then little arrow on the left for the options.) This means that instead of editing each midi note to change the timbre or tone (see VELOCITY) which is really slow, you can just draw in the overall swells that you want!

Youtube is a great resource for ideas - just search for your desired program and away you go. failing this, READ THE BLOODY MANUAL 8-)

Thus endeth my wall of text
My name is green.
Chris O
Minion

Postby MJH on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:58 pm

lol, or you could do what some people do, and download "legal" libraries from piratebay or isohunt.
or get protools 8. i have some very nice things to say about xpand2's midi sounds!!!!!!!

MJH
The Boy

Postby Daz Diggidy on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:35 pm

My "friend" was checking out isohunt. What should he type in the search engine to find Logic 8 instruments plug-ins and audio library stuff?
Daz Diggidy
Underling

Postby MJH on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:44 pm

well, my "friend" also looked on isohunt and piratebay for logic stuff. so far, there isnt much in the way of plugins.
HOWEVER, as far as i can tell, AU plugins work in logic and garageband (i dont use either, so i dont know). so what your friend should be looking for is AU plugins. a lot of VSTs and RTAS plugins have an AU version.
oh, btw, if anyone can find a Mac version of Peavey Revalver, my "friend" would really appreciate where it is.

MJH
The Boy

Return to Production Techniques